Tuesday, 17 July 2012

The Road Worthy Condition Cert. (RWC)

 A permit was obtained to allow Ralph, my Mk3 Ford Zephyr, to be driven on the road so that a RWC could be carried out. The underside has been cleaned with degreaser and nice condition black paint was found over most of the floor. The old English car oil leaks have a use after all! Electrical earths were improved. Positive earth of course. The wheels were changed as the Hankooks that came with Ralph were perished and the treads cut on two of the four.

The muffler off the last Z.

 The muffler was also replaced. It was no where near as bad as the one off Z no.3 (above), but the 12 inch "Hot Dog" had a split in the weld that attached it to the pipe at the front. Yes, I know it could be welded, but I also know that these repairs are notoriously unreliable because of all the soot in the crack. This car is for the family and their safety comes first!
 Trying to find a muffler under $100 was not easy. Some were on Ebay, but postage took care of much of the saving. I had planned to fit the muffler myself. The one that was on the car was held on by clamps - too easy! Eventually I arrived at a local workshop and a suitable muffler was not in stock. However one could be ordered in. It was only $60. Then the proprietor had a look underneath. He wasn't really happy about such a small muffler, saying it would be too loud. I like the sound a Zephyr makes. It has a unique bark at certain revs as one accelerates up the gears. The 12 inch straight through muffler was a little loud, OK, quite a bit loud, but then it meant that lovely tune could be appreciated behind the wheel. So a 12 inch it was going to be.
 While looking under the car again, I again spied the clamps. And a few more clamps  - five in all from just in front of the rear axle to the rear tip. As a throw away comment, I asked how much for a new curve over the axle and one piece welded pipe/muffler all the way to the rear. When the reply came back at $100, I couldn't say "do it" fast enough!
 The result was a great job and was even finised with a chrome tip. I was very pleased and it does sound fantastic, like the sort of sound a sea lion bull makes when being sat upon by an elephant.

The Globe alloy wheels fitted with Hankook Optima 225/65 R14 tyres.

Before and after polishing.

 The Globe wheels were in a bit of a state, see above. I polished out the worst of the surface pitting and painted the wheels in a less obtrusive black finish. They will be fitted with a very tidy set of tryes I picked up off Ebay for $110.
 Ralph was sent in to be checked wearing the Hustler alloys that were purcahsed for Z no.3. Shod with Yokohama 215/60 R14's, I figured there was a chance it would pass.
 But no. Eleven faults were found. The prop shaft UJ's were too worn, as were the front shocks, though the tester did say he would let this go. The seat needs work, but more on that at a later date. The pedal rubbers were too worn, the steeering wheel needed to be centred and the pesky earth problem raised it's ugly head again - just once - this time on the front left indicator. The brake fluid failed! I would naturally have this changed anyway, as a matter of course, but that was a bit of a surprise rejection. The Yokohama's had too much wear, too. Pity, as they are a really good looking tyre on the Hustler mags and do suit the car well. They will eventually get fitted with an equally smart looking tyre and go onto the car for every day use.

Spare prop shaft sripped and ready for paint.

Parts such as the pedal rubbers and new Uj's were quickly obtained and fitted. The spare propellor shaft got a paint strip and de-rust job. I coated it with a shiny black ultra tough finish, however, now I'm thinking I'll repair the original one, but leave all the dirt and patena on it. One can't recreate originality...

No comments:

Post a Comment